international Institute for Sports Science and Fitness Training (IIFT) Group Fitness Instructor
This course requires the student to have a sound knowledge of sport and exercise science. It forms an integral part of the course. Your own knowledge-building will be strongly based on theoretical aspects associated with specialised fields in group fitness.
In doing the practical project(s) you will discover what a Group Expert DOES and how to PRACTISE Group Expertise. You will discover that a total integration of mental and physical experience takes place via
- the integration of choreography;
- dance movements;
- effect of exercise on the body;
- exercise techniques;
- concept of weight and weight loss;
- basic anatomy and physiology;
- stretching, suppleness, leadership;
- behaviour, stress reduction;
- relaxation-oriented group exercise for participants in sport, with exercise and sport psychology as integral part.
This course affords every qualified instructor the opportunity to specialise further in depth. Further specialisation is supported by expert scientists assisting and guiding every researcher towards qualifying as a specialist. Additional short courses may be taken.
Specific specialisation courses. These short courses afford the opportunity to specialise further in the health and fitness industry.
STEP INSTRUCTOR COURSE
This intensive course affords every instructor/trainer the opportunity to give Step classes. Well-trained instructors can also coach athletes for aerobic championships. Some of the concepts taught are:
- Correct techniques
- Height of step
- Building from simple towards more complicated movements on the step
- Increase in exercise intensity
- Use of arms, strength, speed and suppleness
The step course is fitness-oriented and choreography, which is also oriented towards sport and aerobic championships, is also taught at a more advanced level.
- Knowledge of exercises for seniors
- Exercise techniques, exercise programmes and the promotion of interpersonal relations among seniors
- The importance of regular exercise for seniors
- will be able to present the concepts of the cardio athletic kickbox;
- will know how to apply the concepts;
- will know how to develop leadership and interpersonal skills;
- will understand the importance of group dynamics when exercising in a group context; and
- will be able to integrate music with movement, choreography, communication, cueing and techniques required for cardio athletic kickbox.
This is an intensive group course setting high standards. Fitness, strength, speed, coordination and suppleness are required.
- Personal Trainer qualification
- Group Fitness qualification
- Fitness qualification
The course outcome is based on prior knowledge, as specified, with a better knowledge of
- correct exercise;
- warning signs and symptoms;
- important trends;
- important exercises for pregnant women (dos and don’ts);
- adaptation of exercises;
- relaxation techniques;
- breathing techniques; and
This course is presented by highly qualified professionals, physiotherapists and biokineticists.
This course affords every instructor the opportunity to present water exercises for all age groups.
This course follows on from the following courses:
- Personal Trainer course
- Group Fitness course
- Fitness course
- BA (Sport and Exercise Science)
On completion of this course you, as instructor, will
- have adequate knowledge of the concepts of aqua-aerobic exercises;
- know how to implement these concepts;
- be able to promote interpersonal relations through aqua-aerobic exercises; and
- know how to apply music, movement, strengthening choreography, communication, cueing, anatomy, kinesiology and muscle physiology in all group aqua-aerobic classes.
This knowledge has application in all aspects of sport and exercise science.
It affords every qualified instructor the opportunity to do further research.
The aim of this course is to promote the total development of the toddler and junior learner up to and including Grade 3 by means of play and movement. Total development entails physical, neurological and intellectual development as well as emotional, social and character development. Language development and numeracy development are particularly important as a basis for later intellectual development.
Increasing emphasis is placed on the importance of the development of the child and preparing him/her for school. That is why development and school-preparedness programmes are getting more and more attention. School preparedness entails being ready physically and neurologically, as well as emotional readiness, social readiness and a minimum level of language development, numeracy development and character development. As school preparedness includes all of the above, a total preparation programme, aimed at all of the above, is necessary. The total preparation or development of the toddler and small child can be promoted in various ways. However, play and movement are the most natural and effective way of developing all facets of the child’s personality. A total development programme via play and movement is therefore eminently suited to preparing and developing toddlers and junior learners.
This process of movement development is followed up and applied to children in the age group 8-12. The programme is based on
- cardiovascular aspects;
- endurance; and
- physical strength, coordination and suppleness.
The outcome of this course will equip every one who took it with knowledge of
- group exercises for children;
- how to handle this process;
- interpersonal and leadership development;
- the development of self-confidence and stress relief by means of play;
- the composition of music;
- choreography, communication, cueing, anatomy, kinesiology and muscle physiology; and
all aspects of a group class.