SMU Head Of Unit / Lecturer Emergency Medical Care & Rescue Unit 2017 / 2018
Ref no: 24/2017/MMM/HOU
The purpose of the job of Head of Unit / Lecturer is to provide academic leadership and organizational management to the discipline. The incumbent will report to the Head of Department: Family Medicine & PHC. The incumbent will be appointed permanently on a substantive position as a Lecturer and a 3-year term appointment as a Head of Unit. The incumbent must meet the requirements and be responsible for the key performance areas listed below:
- Tech Degree in Emergency Medical Care, with at least five(5) years’ experience in the discipline of Emergency Medical Care and Rescue
- Three(3) years of experience in teaching and scholarly activities at a senior (Academic coordinator) level.
- Well established leader and manager of a higher education unit.
- Proven understanding of collaborative, ethical, innovative and effective leadership style and a commitment to higher academic standards.
- Commitment and ability to promote the discipline’s mission and position to internal University constituencies and external stakeholders.
- Evidence of ability to oversee activities and functioning of a discipline.
- Understanding of the challenges facing pre-hospital education & training and SMU specifically and the Higher Education Sector in general.
- Fluent in English as Tuition is English Medium
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS (KPAs)
- Teaching and Learning
- Enhance the quality of teaching and learning through upgrading staff skills and methodologies, resulting in improved feedback ratings by peers and learners.
- Ensure quality of academic programmes through their accreditation by HEQC, and positive peer reviews
- Ensure throughput and graduation rates achieved are consistent with standards set by SMU
- The successful (100%) placement of learners for experiential learning.
- Individual Research.
- Increase and or maintain accredited research outputs
- Create a research culture resulting in more staff than previously doing research, a greater number of presentations and delivery of papers at conferences, and the attending/hosting more research conferences
- Unit targets linking to school goals reputation, partnerships and community development
- Implement marketing campaigns that increase school/department/unit brand awareness resulting in a higher number of high quality learner registrations (m scores of X), top staff applications and greater media coverage than previously.
- Build community relationships through joint projects with Metro councils, industry and other external stakeholders
- Increase, staff involvement with professional bodies.
- People Development and Transformation
- The attraction, retention and motivation of high calibre staff in terms of qualifications and experience, and high performing staff in terms of performance assessments, enabling Unit to meet or exceed performance expectations.
- Ensure staff profiles meet Employment Equity profiles set out by for both institution for 2018, with an improvement in EE headcount over 2008.
- Improve staff skills in teaching, research and management through the implementation of performance management process including the holding of performance reviews (3 per year), identification and following up of personal development plans
- Resource Management and Utilization
- Managing financial resources effectively by ensuring operational expenditure remains within approved budget
- Ensure effective governance in managing 3rd stream income consistent with SMU policy.
- Implement enrolment management process that increases
- Ensure compliance with internal and external audit criteria, with no qualifications to the Unit’s audit being received.
- No governance lapses in the Unit.
- 100% compliance with statutory and regulatory policies
Individual value add
- Communicate Gauteng Department of Health and SMU vision, mission, and values to all Unit staff, and align Unit’s operational plans with School’s strategies.
- Live Gauteng Department of Health and SMU values by setting the example
Closing date: 21 July 2017
- PEOPLE WHO APPLIED PREVIOUSLY, MUST NOT APPLY AGAIN. THEIR APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Typed applications quoting the reference number which should contain a comprehensive curriculum vitae, certified copies of all qualifications and contact details of three referees, should be forwarded, for the attention of Mrs MM Makgati, to the Human Resources Department, P.O Box 68, Medunsa, 0204 or e-mail applications in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The applications can also be hand delivered at:
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, Human Resources Department, Clinical Pathology building, 5th Floor, Molotlegi street, Garankuwa,
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA). Failure to submit the requested documents/information will result in your application not being considered.
Telephonic enquiries regarding conditions of service: (012) 521-4393.
The Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. Applicants who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date must consider their applications as unsuccessful.
Apply for SMU Head Of Unit / Lecturer Emergency Medical Care & Rescue Unit 2017 / 2018